Clinical Teaching and Problem Solving
Community Preceptor Tool Box - This site is a collaboration of the Minnesota Medical Assocaition and the University of Minnesota Medical School
- 8 Practical Tips for Preceptors (Article from Minnesota Medicine by Jeanne Mettner, April 2015)
- Being an Effective Teacher: Five Tips for the Busy Clinician (Article from Minnesota Medicine May/June 2016)
- Five-Step Microskills Model for Clinical Teaching (Pocket Card)
- Oral Presentations: Tips and SNAPPS Model (Video, 13 min., by Nersi Nikakhtar, MD and Taj Mustapha MD, UMN)
- One-Minute Preceptor (Video 3:30 min.)
- Promoting Learner's Thinking (Pocket Card)
- Questions to Clarify Reasoning about Case-related Difficulties (Pocket Card)
- Questions to Promote Problem-solving (Pocket Card)
Competency-Based Medical Education (CBME)
CBME...is an outcomes-based approach to the design, implementation, assessment and evaluation of a medical education program using an organizing framework of competencies. (The International CBME Collaborators, 2009)
- Understanding Competency-Based Medical Education (Brief primer - Academic Medicine Blog)
- Physician Competency Reference Set (PCRS) (Website from the AAMC)
- Towards a Common Taxonomy of Competency Domains for the Health Professions and Competencies for Physicians (Academic Medicine article)
- Core Entrustable Professional Activies (EPAs) for Entering Residency (Website from the AAMC, with links to key documents)
Associate Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education, Robert "Bob" Englander, is an internationally recognized expert on and advocate for competency-based medical education (CBME). Bob, in collaboration with the American Association of Directors of Psychiatry Residency Training (AADPRT), produced a 5-part video series that provides a brief and accessible entry point to understanding this paradigm shift in medical education. The parts are: historical context; reason for change; process of change; defining EPAs; and connecting EPAs, competencies and milestones.
- More than "Diversity 101": Addressing Microaggressions and Being an Ally - Presentation by Anne Phibbs, Office of Equity and Diversity, University of Minnesota
- Office of Equity and Diversity (OED - University of Minnesota)
- Post-Election Teaching Resources (Center for Educational Innovation - University of Minnesota)
Giving Feedback and Setting Expectations
- Giving and Receiving Feedback (Handout from workshop)
- ORIME Model for Stucturing Feedback (Pocket Card)
- Quick Teaching Tip: Feedback (Video 3:29 min, from the Virginia Apgar Academy of Medical Educators)
- Setting Expectations (Pocket Card)
- Setting Expectations (Video 3:47 min.)
- Short [formal] Feedback (Video 1:40 min.)
Teaching Evidence-Based Medicine
- BEME Collaboration is a group of individuals or institutions who are committed to the promotion of Best Evidence in Medical Education.
- Empowering Evidence Workshop - Resources developed by the U of MN Bio-Medical Library.
- Evidence-Based Practice: An Interprofessional Tutorial - This tool features case studies, and increased emphasis on critical appraisal.
Learning Object Respositories and Educational Technology
- AAMC MedEdPORTAL - The MedEdPORTAL is a resource designed to help faculty publish and share educational resources. For high quality teaching enhancement resources, at the bottom of the home page, enter the text "teaching" in the keyword search field, then click on the "Submit" button.
- Health Education Assets Library (HEAL) - HEAL is a national resource for digital multimedia serving health sciences education. It provides digital teaching resources of the highest quality from a variety of sources.
- Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT) - The MERLOT site includes a a number of health sciences learning materials.
- Resources for Clinicians - Point of Care, evidence-based resources available via the UMN Bio-Medical Library. You will need to enter your U of M X500 username and password to fully access these resources.
- Moodle Clinics at the Center for Educational Innovation (U of M)
- Course Management System (Moodle and Related Software) (U of M) - a collection of tools faculty and staff may use to create and manage online multimedia learning materials and activities for courses, training programs, and events that students or participants can access online
- Academic Technology Support Service (U of M) - course production, support for teaching with technology, and investigation of emerging technologies
- Teaching Resources for Instructors (U of M CEI) - Useful information for instructors teaching in Active Learning Classrooms
- Resources to Support Online and Blended Learning (U of M CEI)