GME Policy: Multidisciplinary Program
- Origination Date: 2/23/2016
- Last Review Date: 9/26/2017
- Next Review Date: 9/2019
- ACGME Common Program Requirements:
- Clinical Informatics program requirements: I.A.2.
- Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology program requirements: Int. C.3
- Molecular Genetic Pathology program requirements: I.A.4.
- Pain Medicine program requirements: I.B.4
- Shortlink: http://z.umn.edu/gmeimmultidisciplinary
Multidisciplinary training programs involve several distinct specialities in order to meet curricular requirements. An ACGME-accredited multidisciplinary program must be aligned with, and function as, an integral part of multiple residency program(s) at the sponsoring institution, as reflected in the respective program requirements. For multidisciplinary programs, only one ACGME-accredited program can exist within a sponsoring institution.
There must be collaboration among the multiple disciplines and professions involved in educating the fellows in a multidisciplinary program. The educational resources required to support the program necessitate cooperation of all the involved disciplines. A single multidisciplinary oversight committee must regularly review the program's resources and its attainment of its stated goals and objectives.
The program director of a multidisciplinary training program must maintain a membership roster for the multidisciplinary oversight committee and minutes of its meetings.
Multidisciplinary programs are co-sponsored by multiple specialties and accredited by multiple Residency Review Committees (RRCs). They require the collaboration of several distinct specialties to meet curricular requirements.
This policy applies to all ACGME-accredited multidisciplinary programs at the University of Minnesota. As of the time of the last policy review, this includes:
- Clinical Informatics (in development)
- Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology
- Molecular Genetic Pathology
- Pain Medicine
2/23/2016: Approved by Graduate Medical Education Committee.
9/26/2017: Policy reviewed by GMEC. List of UMN multidisciplinary programs updated.