Layout, Flow, and Photography
Please note: The following information is intended for faculty, staff, residents, fellows, and others who work for the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health.
- Check-in and photos are in the Ski-U-Mah room. A U of M backdrop is provided in the Ski-U-Mah room to take personal photos of graduates, staff, and faculty.
- View research and curriculum posters from department faculty development programs (TEACH) in the Heritage Gallery from 5 pm - 7 pm.
- Socialize in the Johnson Great Room where D'Amicos hors d'oeuvres and drinks at the cash bar are served from 6 pm - 7 pm.
- Enjoy the ceremony in Memorial Hall from 7 pm - 8:30 pm.
- After the ceremony, you are welcome to stay in the Memorial Hall or Johnson Great Room for drinks at the cash bar and socializing until 9:30 pm.
Stage directions for award recipients, faculty development, and graduates
- Award recipient ascends the stairs stage left.
- Award recipient is recognized with award by award presenter.
- Award recipient remains on stage for description of award.
- Award recipient descends stairs stage-right to be escorted to the Ski-U-Mah room for photo.
- Director ascends the stairs stage left.
- Director describes faculty development program and acknowledges faculty participants by having faculty member stand from where they are seated to be recognized.
- Faculty development program participants proceed to the Ski-U-Mah room for photo.
- Faculty development program participants pick up completion certicate in the Ski-U-Mah room after photo.
Graduating residents and fellows
- Dr. Pacala calls a program up to the stage.
- Faculty, staff, and graduates ascend the stairs stage left.
- Faculty and staff stand stage right.
- Graduates stand stage left. (Due to limited stage space, larger residency groups will need to stand at the bottom of the stage left stairs while partly facing the audience, and then graduates ascend the stage one at a time as name is called.)
- Speakers adjust the microphone before speaking to ensure sufficient volume.
- Program director announces name of program, description of graduating group, and then individual presentation of each graduate (30 to 40 seconds per graduate). Refrain from introducing faculty individually by name due to time constraints and focus on presenting graduates. Audience holds applause until all graduates have been presented.
- After graduate is presented, graduate turns around to shake hands with Dr. Pacala.
- Dr. Pacala congratulates graduate and gives graduate a rolled up generic diploma or actual diploma with cover. Please note: Some programs mail completion certificates after June 30.
- Graduate moves stage right and stands with faculty and staff.
- After all graduates are presented, exit by descending the stairs stage right. Please refrain from hopping off of the stage at mid-stage.
- An escort will bring group to the Ski-U-Mah room for photos.
A selfie station with celebrity-style props will be located in the Ski-U-Mah room and will be available for guests to use before and after the program.
All photography of award recipients and program graduates will occur offstage in the Ski-U-Mah room immediately after being recognized.
Photos will be saved on flash drives and mailed to program administrators about one week after commencement. Names of the residency/fellowship program and year will be added to the group photos for printing. Photos will be shared on social media and may also be used on print and electronic marketing materials.